Creating Change for Adolescent Girls
HGNA challenges the negative images and information bombarding girls today, while offering support and education to their parents.
Save-the-Date for Chick Chat 2018
Saturday, February 24, 2018
Mark your calendar for Chick Chat 2018 on February 24 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Herrick Middle School. The event sells out quickly, so make a note that registration opens at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, January 23, 2018.
Chick Chat is a fun full-day retreat where girls have the chance to spend time in small group break-out sessions, led by professional counselors and social workers, and engage in topics such as:
- Working on self-development in "Be Your Best Self"
- Tackling tricky topics in "Friends, Frenimies, and Fiascoes"
- Learning stress-relief and mindfulness techniques in a 45-minute yoga session, led by a certified yoga instructor
- Enjoying action-packed team-building challenges
Each year the experience is different and geared specifically to the skill and learning abilities of a 4th, 5th, and 6th grade girl. Most girls attend all three grade levels to experience the full curriculum.
Registration opens at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, January 23
Join us for this Dad's Event
Join us on Tuesday, January 30, 2018, from 7 to 9 p.m. at Alter Brewing Company in Downers Grove.
Dr. John Duffy and Todd Adams will be returning to our Dads program to facilitate this important discussion. The purpose of the event is to help each other understand the many complex facets of #MeToo as well as the impact that it has on ourselves, our families, and our community.
Some of the topics planned for an interactive conversation
- How do we contribute to the #MeToo discussion in a positive way?
- How can we better understand the impact for women/girls in our life?
- What can we do to deepen our connection and prepare our sons and daughters in light of these headlines?
Middle School Yoga 2018
Register now for Middle School Yoga 2018
Middle School Yoga provides 7th and 8th graders with a way to positively cope with stress, gain physical strength, clear their minds and make better choices. Middle School Yoga meets is held from January through May, and begins at 7:30 p.m. with an hour of yoga followed by a half hour of downtime to relax, reflect and socialize over refreshments. The 2018 Yoga Series has five dates: Saturdays; January 27, February 17, March 10, April 14, and May 12. Cost is $25 for the series.